We are HemingwayDesign.
We design things.
As a multi-disciplinary team, our diverse and high-profile client list reflects the strength of talent behind the young creative team of urban designers, planners, product, graphic and service designers. Over 30 years' experience has seen us collaborate with the likes of Sainsbury's, John Lewis, Coca-Cola, The National Trust, B&Q, eBay, Southbank Centre and Royal Mail, to name a few.
When it comes to housing regeneration, we've influenced the skylines of Gateshead, Dartford, Manchester, Maidenhead, Bournemouth, King's Lynn, Skelmersdale and Whitehaven, each with great acclaim. Recently we headed the £18m re-imagining of Dreamland in Margate, where we carefully unfold the 1920s-50s design and pieced it back together in a way that preserved its historical integrity, but also made it an exciting and culturally significant for a modern audience.
Interior design is one of our specialities – see our work in the former 2012 Athletes’ Village, Flat 130 Balfron Tower, The Institute of Directors and within our own self-titled homeware collection, or our furniture range for G Plan. We’re not half bad at fashion either; 35 years at the helm of Red or Dead has turned the Hemingways into sought-after uniform designers, and both McDonald’s and Transport For London called on us to completely reinvigorate their staff clothing and we are currently working on a new uniform for Virgin Trains.
Then there are our cultural events and exhibitions. Since 2010, we've produced over 20, including the annual Vintage Festival, Classic Car Boot Sale and The Festival of Thrift and Urban Village Fete which enjoyed a combined audience of over 150,000 in 2015. They are also a perfect reflection of HemingwayDesign’s personality; a mind focused on community values, one eye searching for great British design and both hands transforming a sow’s ear into a silk purse.
Our marketing arm, HemingwayDigital, is where our web consultants, advertising executives and creative designers fuse together. We craft success stories for brands we believe in, connecting them to the niche audiences we've been influencing for decades. Working across print, advertising and digital channels, and with expertise in online strategy and social media, our campaigns filter through the blurred messages of today's media, and target consumers head-on.
And finally, the last string to our bow: the graphics team. They provide the design and branding expertise to transform corporate identities into communicative tools, which strike at the heart of the customer base. Discover how we did exactly that for Unite Students and Grainger PLC, where rigid, inward-facing branding was opened out into an immersive and playful voice, and one which suited both client and customer – and the digital age.
We have vision.
HemingwayDesign have been visionaries for over 30 years, and throughout it all, our feet were – and will continue to be – firmly planted in societal needs.
Our first vision was to create the affordable designer label, Red or Dead. We did that rather well, truth be told. Our most recent projects have focused on supporting and developing the UK’s knowledge-based industries, such as The Bridge Dartford and a 1,000 unit extension to the University of Warwick’s accommodation. As for our next, well – you tell us. We’d love to help bring your vision into reality.
· Identities - to reinforce like-minded brands with strategic design thinking
· Products - with sustainability, economic well-being and British credentials
· Fashion - for multi-nationals and highstreet chains, as well as charitable causes
· Environments - whether that's public spaces, mass-market housing or interiors
· Events - allowing the creative industries to grow and thrive - and to have fun!
We win awards.
· Housing - over 10 awards. Highlights being Staiths South Bank, Gateshead, Large Housing Development of the Year in 2006 at the National Housing Awards
· Regeneration - highlight being Boscombe Overstand (Bournemouth) National Coastal Regeneration Project of the Year 2010 at National Regeneration Awards
· Fashion - over a dozen awards highlight being. Designer of The Year 3 consecutive years 1996 & 1997
· Graphics and Branding – highlight being Dreamland (Margate) London Design Awards 2014